Speed of Light Colors With Speed Racer

I didn't have any great expectations from Speed Racer when my sister and I decided to watch it last Monday. Speed Racer received a low rating from Rotten Tomatoes, and the story isn't actually all that original for me. Still, I liked the movie, more so than I would have imagined. Despite the negative reviews it got, I stand by my opinion that it is one of the most unique and enjoyable movies I've seen recently (though it will never ever reach up to Iron Man's level).

Speed Racer stars Emile Hirsch as Speed Racer (to those unaware, this is really his name in the movie), a genius race car driver who is caught up in a battle upholding his love for driving against a corrupt organization's stance that racing is all about money. I wasn't impressed with Emile Hirsch's acting, but it was okay enough. John Goodman is surprisingly a protagonist in the story (after portraying many villain roles like in Evan Almighty). He plays Pops Racer, Speed's father, who is the brain behind the family's Mach 5 race car. Other notable stars int he film are Susan Sarandon who plays Mom Racer, and Christina Ricci who plays Speed's supportive girlfriend Trixie.

And who would miss Matthew Fox, who plays the enigmatic Racer X? His role as an agent with a mysterious past (and a form-fitting suit) really stirred up the movie... in a good way, of course. The role of Racer X is pivotal. Keanu Reeves was the first choice to play the part. I would've loved to see Keanu play it but Matthew Fox did a good job that I have no complaints.


Korean singer Rain also made his Hollywood acting debut here in Speed Racer. I should never have expected that his English would be impressive, because it wasn't. Language aside, though, he gave nice acting chops in his role.

The storyline and direction was impressive for me. Got to hand it to the Wachowski brothers. They really have an eye for unique flows and great effects. Some people may consider the film to have too much color. But I think that that was part of the idea --- bright colors to accentuate the effects. I mean we're dealing with a family movie which centers on cars moving at the speed of light (figuratively, of course). Colors would evidently play an important part when you want a movie that kids would appreciate while not ignoring the cinematic details in speed racing.

The flow from past to present was also done in unique and genius manner. The flashbacks were clearly imprinted on the present scenes attached to it, which leave no ground for any argument on the personal developments of the characters.

Overall, I think Speed Racer is worth watching. It doesn't disappoint, no matter what the critics say.

No comments: