My Top 5 Dog Breeds!

I like dogs. My family and I had three dogs over the years and only one still lives. She's old now, though, and I know that home will become lonely without her. We were able to cope with the loss of our two other dogs because we still had her, but we just can't change a dog's life expectancy.

Nevertheless, I'm hoping to have another dog. While my top five dog breeds aren't common in my country, it doesn't hurt to hope that maybe I'll come across one someday.

1. Great Dane: It’s the gentle giant, the Great Dane. It’s the tallest among the breeds, yet it is kind, sweet, and affectionate. It doesn’t bark much, and it’s a very dependable dog. It is a very able watch dog. It’s presence can be intimidating with its size, but its intelligent and earnest expression speaks of its tenderness.

2. Siberian Husky: Watching Eight Below inspired me, and made me love this dog very much! It has wolfish features, yet this breed is hardworking, dependable, and very affectionate. The Siberian Husky is a people-oriented breed and is great with other dogs, too. It is also active and intelligent, as well friendly and easy to get along with.

3. Alaskan Malamute: If you put a Siberian Husky and an Alaskan Malamute in front of me, I’d have a hard time telling which is which because they look almost exactly the same to me. The Alaskan Malamute is also wolf-like, although they have a softer features than the Siberian Husky’s sharp ones. This breed is also hardworking and dependable, and sweet-tempered and affectionate.

4. Chow Chow: I like big dogs that are affectionate, and the Chow Chow is one. This dog is big and furry. I have seen one close, and its size was daunting (I can just imagine how I’d feel if I’d see a Great Dane!). Its notable features are its blue-black tongue and straight hind legs. This breed also has a reserved personality, so you have to socialize it with other people, dogs, and household pets. This breed is also on of the breeds that has a sad history. In China, the Chow Chow wasn’t only used for guarding things and pulling carts. It was also used for its meat and fur. It also lacked a single master, and this dog is the one-master-only type.

5. Collie: I like dogs with lots of fur, and the Collie has it. The Collie is also a kind and even-tempered breed. It’s also very devoted to its owner and family. We can all relate to this as we remember the movie Lassie. I just have a problem with herding dogs having a habit of nipping at people’s ankles. The collie is easy to train, though, and can outgrow this habit.

I got my top 5 among the Top 50 Dog Breeds at Pet Bandits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's an eclectic group of dogs you have chosen. You have three Nordic breeds. Two are used for hauling (Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malamute.) One is a dog that was used as a food source, the chow chow.

The Great Dane is actually a German breed that is known as the Deutsche Dogge or German mastiff. It is also known as the German boarhound. It's a shame they don't live that long. The misnomer of their Danish origin comes from Buffon, who called them Grand Danois. However, he was probably mistaking this breed from the Danish Broholmer, a real Scandinavia mastiff.

The collie did not always have its narrow head and long muzzle. That was introduced after the breed became popular through Queen Victoria's patronage. It was crossed with a borzoi to give it that head.