Semper Fi

After days of not posting an entry here, you'd expect me to come up with a great topic.. but all I can think of right now is "Semper Fi."

I started out a week ago on a TV drama marathon, and I had picked NCIS, a CBS TV drama about a team in the Naval Criminal Investigative Services. I had seen some episodes of the drama before, but I wasn't able to finish them all. Criminal investigations seem to be a favorite of mine when it comes to TV programs (as opposed to my sister's Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy). I also like the addition of wit and smart humor in the shows.

So what's with NCIS and this blog entry? Well, I got the term "Semper Fi" from various episodes of NCIS and I got curious as to what it meant. I really had no idea! But it I knew it was relevant to the marines. There was an episode where a widow of a late commander said the phrase to Special Agent Jethro Gibbs, wherein Gibbs replied in a very respectful manner, "Fair winds and flowing seas, ma'am."

I don't know exactly, but something there told me that "Semper Fi" wasn't just any phrase for the marines.

So, of course, I looked it up. Turns out it is very important for the marines. It has actually become the motto of the United States Marine Corps since the 1880s. And it's not just the American navy. The Dutch, Canadians, Brazilians, Swiss, even the Chinese, and many others also use has "Semper Fi" as a motto.

Knowing how many of the countries has used this as a motto made me feel stupid because I only knew about this now. ^_^

Semper Fi is actually short for Semper Fidelis, which is Latin for "Always Faithful." This has been a slogan and motto for many families and entities around the world before it was adopted as a motto for the marines. Semper Fi signifies the dedication and loyalty that the Marines have for the navy and their country, even after leaving the service.

I am so hooked to NCIS right now. After that, I'm gonna be watching season 3 of Bones so I may not frequent this blog as much as I'd like. ^_^

No comments: