Hollywood Movie Promoted Through a Panel of Scientists?

It's definitely a unique kind of movie promotion, especially with a Hollywood movie and with an A-lister in attendance. Best surprise of all was that the A-lister was Keanu Reeves, and for him to be in a panel made up entirely of scientists (with movie director Scott Derrickson) piqued my interest.

It isn't because I thought Keanu Reeves isn't smart enough to hold himself together among intellectuals. It's just that Keanu usually doesn't talk that much, and here he is placed among people who talk quite extensively about the presence of extraterrestrial beings and other scientific what-ifs.

This took place at the California Institute of Technology, where director Derrickson and Reeves held the promotion of their movie, The Day the Earth Stood Still. As expected of an audience where science and fact is the medium of learning, the discussion focused more on the the relationship and differences of art and science rather than on the entertainment values of the movie.

I can easily understand how Keanu Reeves would be so awkward in this situation. But I applaud the fact that he really came to the event. He said so little, and some were said jokingly and saracstically. Can't blame him, really. There were strange questions aired, like "Are you human?," to which Reeves replied, "If you cut me, do I not bleed?"

The whole story:
The Day the Earth Stood Still: Perspectives on the Remake

I find this a very refreshing approach towards marketing a movie to the public. It's not star-studded and red-carpeted, but it still gained some attention. The promotion was also direct and, well, educational. I'm of a mind that other movies should do this, especially movies that touch on intriguing topics like extraterrestrial beings or the existence of God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THat's my Keanu...If you cut me, don't I bleeed? Philosopho...har har har